(a) General rule
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any individual who—
(1) applies for a United States passport (or a renewal thereof), or
(2) applies to be lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws,
shall include with any such application a statement which includes the information described in subsection (b).
(b) Information to be provided
Information required under subsection (a) shall include—
(1) the taxpayer’s TIN (if any),
(2) in the case of a passport applicant, any foreign country in which such individual is residing,
(3) in the case of an individual seeking permanent residence, information with respect to whether such individual is required to file a return of the tax imposed by chapter 1 for such individual’s most recent 3 taxable years, and
(4) such other information as the Secretary may prescribe.
Any individual failing to provide a statement required under subsection (a) shall be subject to a penalty equal to $500 for each such failure, unless it is shown that such failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.
(d) Information to be provided to Secretary
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any agency of the United States which collects (or is required to collect) the statement under subsection (a) shall—
(1) provide any such statement to the Secretary, and
(2) provide to the Secretary the name (and any other identifying information) of any individual refusing to comply with the provisions of subsection (a).
Nothing in the preceding sentence shall be construed to require the disclosure of information which is subject to section 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (as in effect on the date of the enactment of this sentence).
The Secretary may by regulations exempt any class of individuals from the requirements of this section if he determines that applying this section to such individuals is not necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.
(Added Pub. L. 99– 4, title XII, §1234(a)(1), Oct. 22, 1986, 100 Stat. 2565; amended Pub. L. 100–647, title I, §1012(o), Nov. 10, 1988, 102 Stat. 3 5.)
References in Text
Section 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act, referred to in subsec. (d), is classified to section 1255a of Title 8, Aliens and Nationality.
The date of the enactment of this sentence, referred to in subsec. (d), is the date of enactment of Pub. L. 100–647, which was approved Nov. 10, 1988.
1988—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 100–647 inserted sentence at end relating to disclosure of information subject to section 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Effective Date of 1988 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–647 effective, except as otherwise provided, as if included in the provision of the Tax Reform Act of 1986, Pub. L. 99– 4, to which such amendment relates, see section 1019(a) of Pub. L. 100–647, set out as a note under section 1 of this title.
Section 1234(a)(3) of Pub. L. 99– 4 provided that: “The amendments made by this subsection [enacting this section] shall apply to applications submitted after December 31, 1987 (or, if earlier, the effective date which shall not be earlier than January 1, 1987) of the initial regulations issued under section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as added by this subsection).”